Saturday, May 29, 2021

You Don't Need a Clicker to Clicker Train

 You Don't Need a Clicker to Clicker Train

How do you coordinate a clicker with a lead rope or reins?  You don't have to.

In the beginning, it is a good idea to start with a clicker because of it's distinct, consistent sound.  But once your horse knows it well, just move to a tongue click.  You only need to make it a distinct, consistent sound like a clicker.  Kevin has a really strange sound that is more like a turkey gobble, but Starry knows exactly what it means.  He also knows what our clicks mean, too.

Ellen, Shari and I just use a one syllable click.  I use it with my dog, Maggie, too.  The only one that gets a real clicker is my cat, Thunder, so that he doesn't think every time Maggie gets a click that he is going to get a treat.  Unfortunately, Maggie thinks every time I click Thunder, she should get a treat. I make her sit still and stay out of the way when Thunder is doing his tricks--so she earns her click, too.

So don't let the awkwardness of carrying a using a clicker get in your way.


No comments: