Friday, May 28, 2021

Clicker Training Makes Horses Think

Clicker Training Makes Horses Think

Only someone who has used clicker training extensively would believe how it changes the way that horses, (and I am sure all animals) interact with people.  In fact, it really seems like they start to think about the training and engage their brains much more than traditional training.  They become very engaged students.

Imagine if every day you went to work, your boss tried to teach your job by putting pressure on you, and you had to guess what he wanted--and that would be the only way to get him to remove the pressure.  He didn't explain it to you in your language, because he didn't know your language--instead he would push, poke and squeeze you some way or another.  If you didn't figure it out--he would just do it harder.

Even assuming that the person did this in the kindest way possible, how would you feel every day when you went to work?  

Now imagine if your boss had a method that, though there might still be some pushing, prodding and squeezing (but gentler)--you not only knew when you got it right--but you got a treat!!!  How about M&M's?  That would sure be motivating.  Why didn't they train me that way for my job of 30 years.  I am sure I would have liked it much more.

At our old barn, when I took Cole out of his stall to go in the park we turned one way, and when we went to ride in the arena, we turned the other.  He always came out of his stall with a lot of enthusiasm, but when we went towards the arena, he became very animated.  He loves training days.

When I teach Cole something new or try to improve something old, he tries so hard to figure out what I want.  Sometimes he will try things that I don't expect, too.  If I don't want that behavior, I will just ignore it and ask again--then he will try something new.  He is an active participant in our project.  He doesn't get M&Ms, but it is amazing what he will do for a tiny piece of carrot.

Having a horse that thinks about what we are doing can sometimes be different than what a lot of people are used to.  It builds an independent quality in our horses.  They don't just do what they are told.  Ellen trained Dante to touch scary objects so he wouldn't be afraid of them.  Now, when he sees something that looks scary, he wants to go and touch it--which is certainly better than being afraid of it!  

All of Cole's tricks are things that he came up with on his own, and I just reinforce them with clicks.

I like having a horse that wants to achieve the same goal that I do.  Cole wants that click just as much as I want to give him the click, and he will use his brain to figure out how to get it.  We are a team, and it is a great feeling.


No comments: