Thursday, May 13, 2021

A Rainy Ride

 A Rainy Ride


What do you do on a rainy morning when you just can't bring yourself to ride in the indoor arena?  Go out on the trail.

I woke up with a terrible headache.  My the time I got to the barn, the Tylenol was starting to work, but I still didn't feel all that great.  I didn't think I would have the energy to ride Cole in the arena, so when Shari suggested a short, fast ride, I took her up on it.

We forgot to check the time when we left, but I don't think it was more than a half hour ride.  We trotted and trotted.  The only time we didn't trot was when we were going down hill and after we crossed the river on the way home.

At the time, it was just a light rain, so the new leaves on the trees helped keep us a little dryer.  The rain had the trail nice and soft, too.  Cole appreciated it.

Cole has never cared for rain, and he has even actively protested being in it in the past.  He also despises mud.  Of course, I have worked with him on the mud.  If I insist, he will go in it.  If he is outside playing, he refuses to go in it.  He will even refuse to be turned out if he sees it is too muddy.

Cole and Bella did what Cruiser and Ranger used to do when we got caught in the rain--they were all business.  There were so many puddles that Cole gave up and trotted right through them.

We trotted out to our destination, turned around and trotted back.  The park was so quiet.  We didn't see a soul--no hikers, joggers, dog walkers and, of course, no other riders.  There were very few cars on the road, too.  It was just us, the wet wildflowers, the drippy trees and the rain.

Were we wet?  Yes!  Were we cold?  Yes!  Did we have fun?  We sure did!  I think Cole and Bella did, too.

Since it wasn't a heavy rain, they weren't that wet when we got back.  I think we were worse off, but we didn't care.  Shari and I were smiling the rest of the day--and what a rotten day it was!  The rain got harder and harder, and when the temperatures started to drop, it turned into snow.  We got to ride during the best weather of the whole day.

No comments: