Thursday, January 14, 2010

Clicker for physical therapy

I found a new use for clicker. Mingo is terrific with targeting. Ever since he hurt his neck, I wanted to monitor his ability to turn it in the sore direction. In the beginning, I would just lure him with a treat and he would tentatively reach for the treat. I did that for a few days until he did it confidently. I then got his target towel and worked with that. He will now willingly turn is neck to any angle and any height that I hold his target without any problems. He thinks it is a fun game.

He is also turning his neck on his own in the sore direction.

When I lead him, he still goes with his neck to the outside of the circle in the hard direction, but I can gently get him to walk with it on the inside of the circle for a half dozen steps without him reacting painfully. At that point, I click and let him stop for a treat. This is a big improvement. I see clicker helping him a lot with his physical therapy program.

The only time last night that he reacted painfully in his neck was when he got startled and moved quickly. I think the neck will be fully healed in time. I’m worrying more about the leg. He is sound as long as he is on the bute. We are phasing him off on it, and then we will see what happens.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

That's great! I'm glad he's doing better. :) Please keep us updated.