Monday, December 3, 2018

Pumpkin Seeds

Did I ever mention I make the best pumpkin pie?  I just love it.  I make it from fresh pumpkins, and I found a really good recipe to use--not the one every one else uses that is on the can of pumpkin.

I made a bunch of pies over the last month or so, but now I am all out of pumpkins.  I have a few winter squash that I grew in my garden this summer, and I think I might turn them into pies.

Anyways, the reason I am writing this isn't to make everyone hungry.  I save the pumpkin seeds for the horses.  All you have to do is wash them off and let them dry.  The horses--particularly Cole Train--love them.  The best part about it?  They are a low carb snack for those insulin resistant horses.  Cole looks like he might be, so we have switched his grain to low carb a few years ago.  I still give him treats, so when I can give him healthy treats, like pumpkin seeds, I do.

Sadly, Cole's friend, Bella, who contracted insulin resistant laminitis this summer doesn't like pumpkin seeds.  She is doing well, and Shari has been riding her--but not with us--because of her schedule.  That will be changing soon, because she quit her second job.  Hurray!

No comments: