Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Update

Ironically, MerryLegs has improved with everything since the accident.  I have spent the week with lounging and leading.  He is getting excellent with vocal commands, but still not 100%.  I think that will come.  I can now see him concentrating on what I am doing--and thinking when I give him a command.  He is trying to find his balance, and though he doesn't look unbalanced as he trots about, when he finds it, he looks great.  I click him for it.  I did this with Cole, lounging and though I never used side reins with him, you would never know it to watch him trot on the lounge. Cole carries himself as if he has invisible side reins.

He did pretty good with the farrier--only pulling back, twice.

The leading has vastly improved.  He only has trouble going in and out of doorways, now.  When he gets stuck out in the driveway, I can get him going again in just a few seconds.  Maybe this is how the riding will go.  Once he understands what I want, the problems will just vanish.  I hope so.

 I have played this over in my mind, and I am sure that I used too much leg pressure--and held it for too long when he didn't respond.  I even think I know why.  Cole really is a pony, and the only part of my legs that touch is side is right below my knees. To give him leg pressure, I have to bring my legs in really far just to touch his sides!  It amazes me how a horse that little can feel so big when I ride him. I didn't realize the implications of doing what I was used to on a much bigger horse--and one that doesn't like pressure.

I have been doing the TTouch on his sides, and he is sensitive more on one side than the other.  He is getting accustomed to it.  It is very light pressure in a circular manner.  I did much of the TTouch massage on his body, and I found no other places that are as sensitive. 

I did the surcingle squeeze on him, and he reacted with concern, but quietly.  I kept moving it to different parts of his barrel and squeezing tight--and then clicked when he stood quietly.  We've done that a few times, now. 
  
Now, for the funny part.  Kevin got an idea.  He brought out an old pair of jeans, filled the legs with sand and we named it Scary Legs.  It must weigh 50 pounds.  Twice now, we have put it on his back in his stall and led him around.  The first time, he was very worried--the second time he was calm.  I don't know if it will help one bit, but it never hurts to give a horse a novel experience.  Eventually, we will lounge him with them.

I really want to take him for a walk across the river.  Just seeing how well that I think he will do will make me very hopeful about the future.  The weather hasn’t been helpful, though. We got a bunch more rain, so we will be lucky to cross at all this weekend.  I think it will be too high and muddy to lead a new horse across.

No comments: