Thursday, February 10, 2011

Clicker for dogs

The dog was driving me crazy. When I have to take her for a walk, she goes nuts while I am putting my coat and boots on and was terribly difficult when I wanted to hook up the leash. I’m not talking about ordinary excitement. She would jump at my face when I bent down. She started to get worse, and I couldn’t take it anymore.




Time for clicker. I have been working with her about a week to sit quietly during the process, and she has changed dramatically. She still has room for improvement, but I am already less frustrated. It is taking half the time to do, and she gets what she ultimately wants the most—hooked to the leash faster and out the door quicker.



The funny part? When I am clicking her and giving her pieces of dry cat food, Thunder the Wonder cat comes downstairs to get his pieces of cat food, too. He hears the clicker, and he knows it is time to collect on his treats. It isn’t much of a treat for him, but he demands it out of principle. Maggie behaves better when he is around, too, so he also helps me. He attacks her regularly and has won her respect.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

Awww you are so lucky to have your feline training partner. :D

Don't you just love clicker?? It makes everything so much easier. I just don't understand why some people hate it (especially without even trying it). It makes everything better, easier, more fun. I'm glad it's helping you out with the dog. That's one reason I was always worried about getting a rescue because I love raising puppies my way instead of fixing bad habits. I probably will rescue my next one though if I can find what I'm looking for. :)