Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wednesday Night

I had a very nice trail ride on Cruiser. He was definitely feeling his oats!

I had a tougher time with Cole. I wanted to ride him in the indoor arena, but figured I would lounge him first. Well, the horses were out next door, and they were running around and banging the gate. This really revs Cole up. He kept having tantrums on the lounge line. I worked him through it, and we actually did some good stuff, but by then, he had had enough of a work out, so I didn't ride. I took him for a quiet walk outside to cool out and relax.

He has a good side and a bad side. On the good side, I am able to shape his shape by clicking when he drops his head and rounds his back. It worked--he kept going back to it quicker each time.

On the bad side, I was just content with him going forward quietly. I clicked him for that.

I wish it wasn't too dark to take both horses on the trail. Unfortunately, in a few weeks, it will be to dark to take either one out.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

Ugh. Don't remind me. I hate winter lol.

That's one thing I always have trouble remembering. I am very goal oriented so when I decide to work on something if I end up and can't work on it or it isn't going how I want I get really frustrated and discouraged. I have to remind myself that every day is a chance to learn, even if it's not something I want to learn. I'm sure the lounge lesson was just as beneficial for him as a ride would have been. Every time you deal with problem areas (getting excited about the other horses) the more tools you create for dealing with unexpected situations and the more he learns about what is expected (such as staying calm and listening). Sounds like he's doing great. And I'm glad Cruiser is doing well. :)