Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Emergency visit from vet

My sister called in a panic--Mingo was having problems. He was biting his side and kept trying to lay down--but he couldn't, of course. He hasn't been able to in a long time.

I called the vet. By the time we got out there, he was all right. My sister gave him bute and talked to him, and he settled down.

Our vet practice has 3 vets. This vet hasn't seen him since last fall, and she was surprised at the amount of weight he has lost in spite of what we have been doing.

She did another rectal exam--found nothing. She took blood to compare to his blood work when this initially happened. We are concerned he may have cancer. The calcium level in the blood will indicate it if he does. Of course, blood work shows a lot of other stuff, too.

She is not hopeful, and neither am I. I guess I just need to know something to help me make the terrible decision I will probably have to make. He just isn't getting better.

I am miserable. He's just 14. I have had him since birth. I really am his mother--and he has always treated me as such. My heart is breaking to see him suffer...and my heart is breaking at the thought of losing him. My heart is just breaking...

This has been a tough time for me with Mingo's health problems. The one joy in my life--the only thing guaranteed to put a smile on my face is my Little Thunder.

At the end of the day, when he jumps on my bed and walks up to me to snuggle, I get a rush of peacefulness. For a few moments, my worried evaporate and I smile.

I then give him an update on Mingo. He just purrs.

Cats are good medicine.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

I'm so sorry he's getting worse. :( It breaks my heart to think of the pain you must be in. Spend some time with him and remind him and yourself of the good times you've had together. I hope the blood work gives you some answers because I know losing a beloved animal, but not knowing why is one of the hardest things ever. I don't know what else to say, but I am thinking of you and Mingo.