Thursday, June 17, 2021

Two Things that We Love to Use Clicker for:

Two Things that We Love to Use Clicker for:

I asked Ellen, if there were only 2 things that you could use clicker training for, what would they be.

It turns out we are in agreement.

The first is for cleaning feet.  Cleaning feet is a very important thing to do, but it isn't always easy.  Horses aren't always very cooperative--and even if they are--they might not cooperate for long.  You might even have a very good horse, but after a long ride on a hot day...it's just not a pleasant job.

With clicker training, it can become a very easy job.  You just have to decide how you want to do it--and then train your horse to do it that way.  Over time, I have gotten Cole to the point that I only need to stand by his leg and touch it ever so lightly.  Sometimes, I don't even have to do that.

He lifts his foot up and holds it there on his own.  I just steady it with my hand.  I can do both back feet from the same side without ever having to stand up to get to the second foot.  For the price of 3 treats, I can get his feet done easily and quickly.  (One treat for each front hoof and one treat for both back hooves.)  I can even do it with him standing outside the barn; unheld.

Clicker has turned an unpleasant chore into a joy.

The second thing is applying bug spray.  After years of torturing our other horses with it, we have horses that don't like it, but they will tolerate it for a few clicks.  They stand still and the only way we know that they don't like it is by the expression of their faces.  It not only makes it easier for us, but we like that they don't mind us doing it to them as much as our other horses did.

What unpleasant chores can you make better with clicker training?  

No comments: