Thursday, January 23, 2020

Cole in the Arena


Cole in the Arena

It has been a wonderful winter for trail riding--one of the best.  Cole and I have only been in the arena a handful of times. Sometimes, I can’t cross the river because it is high or there is ice forming, but I can still ride on the hill, up and down, or ride outside on the loop. (That is a quarter mile, rectangular track behind the stables.)

I don't mind riding in the arena.  I just prefer the trail. I really enjoy riding Dante in the arena, and Ellen lets me ride him in there whenever I like.  Cole is different.  As I have mentioned in the past, sometimes I have a tough time with him in there.  He can be so unpredictable inside; compared to out on the trail.  Any sudden noise can set him off; running.  Of course, one particular corner is the worst.

Back in the early days of riding him, he was terrible, and I was very intimidated by his bolting.  I spent the longest time just staying in the safer areas of the arena.  Eventually, I got over my nervousness, and he bolted less often.

To make things even more complicated, he has a completely different trot when he is in the arena.  It is extremely powerful, very showy and quite beautiful.  I call it his show trot.  Thankfully, he seldom does it on the trail.  It is difficult, though not impossible to post to.  I prefer to sit, though, in the arena.  I like the feeling of being connected.  Also, I find it so much easier to influence him with my weight, seat and legs at a sitting trot.  It is hard work, though.

Consequently, dealing with an unpredictable Cole with a hard-to-ride trot--I would rather just go out and ride in the snow.

Even after all these years, when he hasn't been ridden in the arena regularly, we still have an adjustment period.  I am very cautious, and he usually bolts a few times in the scary corner.

We had some rainy days that turned into icy days, so I had no choice.  I had to ride in the arena for the first time in about a month.  Ellen was slowly gliding around on quiet, smooth-trotting Dante.

I started out doing a lot of walking around the arena.  We had to get used to the scary corner, all over again.  Yes, he bolted.  I was able to stop him in a few strides, but I sure was disappointed.  Why do we have to go through this every year?

I then moved up to transitions on the safe end of the arena.  From there, we would trot to the scary end, walk until the safe zone and trot some more.  He started to settle down, and I started to relax.  I still felt I was all over the saddle.  I just couldn't get coordinated.

Ellen took Dante out of the arena, and we were on our own.  I started to trot out of the scary corner and go immediately into a shoulder-in.  I love shoulder-in when I am nervous, because Cole is already in a bend.  If he spooks or bolts, we are set up to go into a small circle.

But he didn't.  We just worked steadier and steadier.  Eventually, I was exhausted.  Did I tell you how hard it is to ride that trot?

We ended the ride with practicing our line dancing.  This was the first time I really let him do it since last winter.  First I reviewed each of our moves; reinforcing them with a click and treat.  Our moves are side pass, turn on the haunches, backwards and forwards.  Then I started to pick 2 moves before a click.  By the time we were done, we were doing 3 moves before a click.  He just kept getting better.

The next day, I had to ride in the arena, again.  We were a completely different partnership.  I felt like we were working together.  I was less nervous--he was less distracted.  Ellen said we were starting to look beautiful.  It was a much more satisfying ride.

The following day, I had every intention of capitalizing on our success.  I arrived at the barn, saw all the other boarders' horses turned out in the arena.  I didn't have the patience to wait, so I went out and rode on the loop.  Sure I was cold, but it was easier.

The next day, I was determined to ride in the arena.  I shouldn't be so lazy!  We were doing quite well, and I needed to keep up the momentum.  I was about to put the saddle on Cole, when another boarder asked to cut in line so he could turn his horse loose in it.  I agreed to wait.  I didn't wait very long, though.  In a few minutes, I put on the saddle--and rode down the hill to the river.  My momentum was gone.



No comments: