Friday, April 26, 2019

Dante - Ride 2

Dante - Ride 2


Ellen wasn't ready to ride her safe and reliable horse on the second ride, so she rode Cole, instead.  Sometimes I think she does this just because she likes to spend time with Cole. That is fine with me, since I enjoy riding Dante, too.  It is nice to ride a different horse, now and then.

We led the guys down the hill and mounted on the bottom.  I crossed first.  Remember how happy I was that Dante didn't do his slow spin, last time?  Well, he decided he would do it this time.  He has an incredibly strong Morgan neck, and try as I might, I couldn't keep him from spinning.  It is a very slow spin, as I said.  I just had him slowly spin back to where he started and insisted he step in the water.  Once he got his front feet in, I clicked and treated him.  After that, it was easy.  He walked across steady and careful.  Such a good horse.

Ellen had no trouble getting Cole in the water, this time.  I was already across, and I could barely look once I started to hear all of Ellen's shrieks, groans and chatter.  You would think that Cole was being the worst horse in te world.  When I finally looked back, I saw him going as slow and careful as Dante.  He was just ignoring Ellen--smart horse.

On the other side, Dante had one little spook, but I didn't see what caused it.  It was one of those quick side-step spooks.  After that, we trotted most of the way to the next river crossing where we met Kevin and Starry, coming back from their ride.

We planned to walk all the way home, since it was only Dante's second ride.  We didn't know if Starry would take the lead--because he obsesses so much about following Dante.  We started with Cole in the lead and Starry second.  That was a good start.  Many times, last year, it was a fight just to do that.  After a bit, Ellen turned Cole back and Starry willingly took the lead.  It was wonderful.  He led nearly the rest of the way home.

Ellen did better, crossing the river on the way home.  All the horses were good--the ride was a success.  Ellen thinks that I will have to ride Dante across the river, next time, but she will switch horses on the other side.  Why not? Dante has been such an angel.

No comments: