Saturday, November 24, 2018

Cole Loses His Composure

Cole Loses His Composure

The other afternoon, we were out riding Starry and Cole on a short trail ride before sunset.  It was our first really nice day, weather wise, in several weeks.  There was no rain, snow or wind, and it was even moderately warm.

On the way out, we were passed by 2 people riding gaited pintos.  It was evident they were from the fairgrounds, because fairground people who ride as far as our trails are always in a hurry.  We stopped our horses and let them pass.

We had a really nice ride out to the second river crossing--trotting most of the way.  We turned around and started trotting back.  After a couple of minutes, I yelled up to Kevin to stop, because Cole was getting a little feisty.  Starry immediately halted, and we walked towards the next corner with Starry in the lead.

Up ahead, we could see around the corner because there are no leaves on the trees--and here comes the spotted, gaited horses, and they were coming fast.  Through the trees, between the spots and the funny way gaited horses move, Cole thought he saw monsters!  He spun 180 degrees--as only a little horse can--and took off running!

We don't see many gaited horses, and trotting horses sometimes get confused when they see gaited horses' legs going all directions.  I remember when had a similar reaction from Cruiser the first time he saw a one.  This wasn't Cole's first time, but they frightened him, nonetheless. 

I was able to catch him in a few strides and stop him by turning 180 degrees the other direction.  I asked him to stop and watch the monsters approach.  Poor Cole, his head was up, he was trembling and I could feel that any deviation towards the left or right would have him spinning and running, again.  I just kept him facing the monsters, and he stood frozen in place.

Kevin knew I had a problem going on; even though he couldn't see us and asked the people to slow down.  As they got closer to me, I asked them to stop.  By now, I was sitting on a stick of dynamite with the fuse already lit.

They didn't stop--only slowed down a little bit, but they just kept gaiting.  I can't say what happened next--I was too busy trying to contain the situation to bother remembering.  I know it involved Cole rushing backwards a few times, at least one more spin, Cole trying to step sideways into the trees and a mad dash forward just as they got passed us.

They didn't try to stop their horses and said not one word of apology.  If I was the kind of person who cussed, I can't imagine what words would have come out of my mouth.  Good thing Kevin didn't see what happened!  He and Starry stood completely still--facing the opposite way--so they wouldn't interfere or add to the chaos behind them.

Cole was still very, very upset about what happened.  He just wanted to run home.  I asked Kevin to  stand with us until Cole settled down.  After a few minutes, I felt Cole relax, and we went home with no other problems.  You could imagine what most of our conversation was about.

2 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oh my. I've had some trouble with my horses seeing gaited horses too. I find that the people who ride the gaited horses around here don't respect the trails and like to bushwhack their way along, so I often have them busting out of bushes in unexpected places. Same thing -- no apology for startling my horse, they just keep on blazing their trail. I'm glad that my new neighbors have gaited horses, because my horses are now used to seeing them marching aggressively back and forth.

Diane Beckham said...

So sorry that happened to you. I have always rode gaited horses and I would never be so rude to do that! It's like riding by bikes or strollers or such, always slow down and make sure everyone is safe. You would have had every right to yell at them!