Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Time Out on Trail Riding

Time Out on Trail Riding

I haven't been doing much trail riding, lately.  I got a tear in my retina.  When I asked the surgeon who fixed it what restrictions I had, he said I could do anything but horseback riding!  I asked him how he knew that I rode, and he said that he didn't--he just said that--never expecting that was the big question I had to ask.  It was the bouncing that he wanted me to avoid.  I guess I could have ridden just at a walk, but all I needed was one of Cole's Cole bursts.

Ellen had to ride with Kevin for a while.  It sounds like they had nice rides, but Starry really back stepped in his leadership training.

We had an older horse in our barn die who lived next to Starry.  The stall was much better the the stall Dante was in, so we moved him over to the new stall.  I think having Dante by him all the time has made him more reluctant to leave him. 

They have been working on placing Starry off to the side when they are trotting with great success.  Starry still fights it, but Kevin can keep him there.  He wants to follow Dante so closely that if Dante suddenly stopped, there could be a collision.  If he is off the the side, the collision can be avoided.

Ellen did take Cole on one trail ride.  I think she had fun.  He was very full of himself since he hadn't been out for a while.  He showed Ellen what a fast he has.  Then she remembered that I have been working with him to slow him down when I want him to, so she tried it.  He listened to her and became much more manageable.

When I was finally able to ride, the weather didn't cooperate.  We have had just enough rain to keep the river uncrossable.  We have just been riding out on the loop behind the barn.  It's not exciting, but when you haven't ridden in a while, it is wonderful!

1 comment:

Cheshire (MA) Cat said...

Sorry to hear about your scary ordeal, but isn't it great what they can do now to fix us up? After 40 it's just patch, patch, patch.