Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Try Something New

Chances are, you have read about me clicking and treating for a behavior.  Those of you that have tried clicker training will nod in agreement.  Those of you that haven't tried it probably roll your eyes and think, "Not again."

I say, try something new.  Give clicker training a try.  It is fun, and it does no harm.

Clicker training has proved successful in all other species, so why not horses?  When I was at the Cleveland Zoo, I watched them move the elephants from one pen to the other with the handlers on the outside of the fence.  They told the elephants where to go, and when they did, they marked the behaviour and gave them a treat.  They didn't lure the elephants the way we often (and sometimes unsuccessfully) try to get horses to load in a trailer.  Instead, they ask for a behavior and them gave a treat.  (The click is merely a message that tells an animal that they got it right and a treat is coming.  It is an accurate way to communicate--where just handing a treat is not.  The timing may be off--causing confusion.)

I first started clicker training when I saw the great success that my sister had with her dog.  I decided to try it with my cat and Mingo, my horse.  Starting with a cat is a great way to begin.  Since most cats don't have much training, you are working with a blank slate.  The only good way to train a cat is with positive reinforcement, period.  If you have a cat, I'd advise you to get a clicker and a bag of cat treats--and have some fun.

Dogs seem to be naturals for clicker training, and it is the only way I seem to be able to teach my slow-witted Maggie.  I don't think I could have lived with her without being able clicker training.  She still isn't a very good dog, but she is a better one.

Back to horses.  I started with Mingo because Cruiser was insulin resistant and couldn't have treats.  After initiation--which only took a few short lessons, Mingo got it.  I started to use it while riding, and I could see it working.  Unfortunately, after a few lessons, he got sick with a mysterious illness.  That is when I discovered the true value of clicker training.  The illness caused many things, including an abscess in his hoof which caused his leg to swell up and become very sore.  I couldn't touch his leg to try to soak his hoof.  With clicker training as a tool, I got him to lift his leg up--without me touching it--so I could put a soaking boot on his hoof.  A week later, the farrier was able to trim the foot with ease--even though Mingo still didn't want anyone to touch that leg.  Clicker training helped him overcome the pain and cooperate with me, instead.  I was sold on it.

Poor Mingo didn't survive the illness, and that is when Cole came into my life.  He was unridden when I bought him, and I decided to train him primarily with clicker training--and it worked like a charm.

But, you don't have to go that route.  If you have a horse that is already trained like Mingo, you can just do some clicking for fun.  Is there a trick you want to teach?  Clicker training is the best way to go.  Tricks should be fun.  I taught Cole to park out, bow and do a silly walk.  He learned to chase a ball, but I never could get him to pick it up and return it.  When I first started riding him, I taught him to pick up a mitten if I was in the saddle and threw it on the ground.  I haven't done it in years, but a few weeks ago, I had to take my mitten off when I was riding and accidentally dropped it.  Wouldn't you know, he remembered and picked it up for me! He got clicked, of course.

Even better, you can use clicker training to help you along if you have a problem area that conventional training doesn't seem to be working well enough.  Just break the task down into little pieces.  Do you have a horse that just doesn't seem to get backing up?  Start by clicking for a shift in weight.  When that works, wait until you get a backwards step--no matter how tiny it may be.  When your horse understands that really well--go for the second step, etc...

When your horse backs well, you can fade off the clicking--or add going forward after backing.  This winter, I worked with Cole to back up--and then trot forward.  He thought it was fun--because he got clicked.

If you only use clicker training to help with one task or trick--that is great!  Even better, you may see how useful it can be and use it for other things.  You don't have to convert your horse to a complete clicker trained horse, like Cole, but you just might.  It is fun for the trainers, too.



2 comments:

KT said...

Fellow Morgan owner here. And we know how food motivated Morgans are! Here's what keeps me from doing this (and I experienced it with one woman at my boarding barn). The horses that EXPECT a treat for performing a behavior and refuse to go forward until the treat is given. I've seen you mention it a few times with getting a horse across a creek. You don't want them stopping in the middle at some point. That happened with my friend. Her horse wouldn't go up a hill so she started clicking when he got to the top. Someone else was behind her coming up, and fell down the hill when the horse stopped at the top, blocking her way, and refused to walk until he got a treat, which the owner didn't have with her.

Judi said...

That is a very good point, and that is actually the trainer's fault. My sister has fallen into that trap. It is a problem if you give a horse a treat for going somewhere instead of giving him the treat for doing something. If I want to give a horse a treat at the top of the hill, I ask him to do something, click and treat. That way I am in control. Your friend was clicking for getting somewhere--not doing something. If she clicked for a good whoa--but didn't click for most whoas--she wouldn't have had that problem.

In the spring, when I first start crossing the river, I click for stepping into the water. After a few rides, I fade it off. In the beginning, my sister clicked when Dante stepped in--regardless as to how well he did it--and didn't fade it off. After a while, he demanded the treat--so she would give it to him. It took a long time for her to cross because he kept demanding--and since she was so nervous, she kept giving him the treat for demanding. She actually was teaching him to demand a treat.

Finally, last year, she had enough of it and got tough. She retrained him in a short time to just go right across--but you see, it was the rider's fault. It really just started from her nervousness. Ellen uses the clicker as a crutch for herself.

The problem that I ended up with was a little odd. I taught Cole to bow. He liked it so much that he started to offer it to me all the time. He wouldn't get out of the bow until I clicked--he just kept getting lower and lower! My mistake--I never taught him to step back out of his parking stance--so he was always set up to bow. This spring, I started to teach him to step back before he bows, and it has worked.

So, the problems--as most horse problems are caused by the trainer. Bad timing, clicking for the wrong thing and not fading off the clicks--also poor delivery of food can be bad, too. Clicker training is simple--but it isn't at the same time.