Thursday, January 25, 2018

Nothing to Write About

Nothing to Write About

It’s been a quiet month at the barn, leaving me with very little to write about.  We started out with a
frozen river and bitterly cold weather.  It was time to work in the arena, just to stay warm.  
We even walked Ranger inside a few times due to the cold.  

Then we had a thaw--which meant ice on the driveway.  Once again, we were forced to ride in the arena.


We had another cold spell--you guessed it--arena.  Then there was a thaw...ice...


Every now and then, I would manage to ride on the loop or on the hill.  Kevin would join me.  
The first few times, riding Cole was like riding a stick of dynamite.  One day, we were able to trot back
and forth on the bottom of the hill, and it took quite a few trips before Cole felt like he wasn’t going to
go flying.  


As the weather got more normal, I was able to ride Cole outside more often-to my delight.  Ellen
chose to stay inside.  Once she gets into her inside rhythm, she usually stays there until we are
closer to spring.  Kevin, of course, won’t ride in the arena to save his life.  I personally just don’t get that.
Better to ride--than not to ride is the way I see it.  


As Cole got more used to riding outside, I was able to trot on the loop when the footing was suitable.  
He is such a good boy.


The other evening, I was riding the loop, around and around.  It is about a quarter mile long.  
I was trying to figure out what to write about this month.  Cole was quiet and relaxed, even though we couldn’t trot because of the footing.  On a whim, I switched directions on the last lap.  I almost always go the same direction because it just works better, and it had been a while since I tried the other way.


We made it about half way, and Cole suddenly became animated.  He started to toss his head around,
prance and try to trot!  I thought I would go back the way I came--his good direction.  It made no
difference.  There was no putting the genie back in the bottle.  I continued back the wrong way.  


Every few steps, I would stop him to get control of his feet that were dancing all about.  He just wouldn’t
settle down.  Finally, I just gave up and dismounted him to lead him back to the barn.  He was still dancing.  He didn’t even want to do silly walk.


I now have a little training project.


I have something to write about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since your December 5 post, your posts are coming across on my browser (firefox on a laptop) as one long line. No word wrapping, no scroll bars. If I want to read it, I have to copy the long line and paste it into microsoft word.

Judi said...

Thank you so much for telling me. I had to go in and manually adjust it, but I did correct them all. I don't have a clue as to why it is doing it, but I'll make sure it won't happen anymore.

Anonymous said...

Whatever you did, it worked! I can see it all just fine right now!

Karen from IL