Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Recent Rides

My riding has been sporadic and abbreviated since we have been taking care of my Dad. I didn’t get out at all on Saturday, so my sister-in-law took pity on me and said she’d start her shift a few hours early on Sunday so I could get a longer ride and be able to spend time with Kevin. I jumped at the chance.




I took Cole up to the show ring trails. It is the first time since this whole thing started that I could ride somewhere different. It is only the second time I rode him there, alone. My sister and I usually go together. I did it once last fall, and he misbehaved. Well, he wasn’t a whole lot better this time. He was fine until we got up there, and then he got very hyper. Our trotting was very fast, which I don’t mind, but he broke into the canter countless times and wasn’t easy to bring back down. We got to the turnaround point before I knew it. Since he was so wound up, I opted to skip the trails out in the field and just go home. The bugs attacked, so I tried some trotting. He went very, very fast and I could hardly stop him. We took a break for him to settle down and then tried it again. He was steadier with his trotting, but when I wanted to stop, once again, he didn’t think it was a good idea. I’m not used to this from Cole. He usually has a very good stop.



I decided we would walk home from there. He was very hot and sweaty. He finally had a ride vigorous enough to tire him out. The walk home was uneventful and he behaved just fine. I sponged him off and then it was time for Cruise.



We had an easy ride, and Kevin met us on foot. He said that since we had extra time, he had the urge for some Steak and Shake. We haven’t gone anywhere for dinner except a quick stop at Burger King for weeks. Steak and Shake it was. We ate too much, but it sure was good.



I rode last night, too. this time, Kevin came with me. we went on our usual ride, except skipped the part that puts us right by the street. There are too many idiots with fireworks this time of year, and they are worst in the evening. Starry and Cole were well behaved and we got some good cantering in. I then took Cruiser on another easy ride.



I will ride tomorrow morning, but I can’t get out in time to ride with my sister. She goes in to work at 10:00 and I can’t get there before 9:30. I really miss my rides with her. Kevin will be there, though.



I will stay at home with Dad for the 4th of July. I don’t mind missing the fireworks, but I will miss Kevin. He has been great through this crisis by riding with me when he can, taking care of my horses when I can’t get there and visiting me when I can’t get away, but I sure do miss going out with him. July 5th is our 16th anniversary of our first unofficial date.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

Wow you guys have been together for a long time. :D Happy anniversary!!

I hope you get to start riding with your sister again soon. I miss my sister so much!