Friday, April 3, 2009

Wow, what a week it has been. I have a nasty cold, but I have still been going to work. I figure if I could go out and ride, I will go to work. The days have been so long!

I took Mingo in the park a couple times this week, and he is settling down very nicely. We did some really nice cantering, and it was quite a thrill. He doesn't go that fast in the summer, but he wasn't going a reckless speed. We've been able to do some trotting towards home. Since he is going faster, I have to post. Yes, Mingo is making me work.

Cruiser only got in the park once, but I am riding him out there tonight. It was getting dark, so we only went up and down the hill. I trot him on the flat areas. I gave up trotting him up the hill once he bowed his tendon. Why push my luck. Wouldn't you know it, on the steepest part, some deer started dancing about and he spooked. I swung his head around to control his speed, and I kept him from running up. I also got a terrible cramp in my arm. That was weird. He walked up a little faster after that, but he behaved.

He has been gaiting a lot. I think it is a stepping pace. His gait is faster than his walk and slower than his trot. He does it when he is feeling good, so that's a good sign. I wish I could get him to do it on command. He does it with a loose rein. I'm going to try half halting him when he seems like he is in the mood and then, if he does it, I'll loosen the reins as a reward, sit back and enjoy it.

I'll be riding both days this weekend, just the way it is supposed to be.

No comments: