Thursday, November 19, 2020

Tricks are for Cole

 Tricks are for Cole


When we kept our horses at the old barn, I had a hard time turning Cole out in the outdoor arena.  Something would come over him.  He would go running and running--neighing and neighing.  When he was tired, he would bang at the gate because he wanted to go back in.  He just didn't like it out there.  When I led him out, he would be all agitated, and I would have to settle him down--something I usually did by asking him to do tricks.  I couldn't even ride him in the outdoor arena--he would just feel like he was going to explode.  

As a better option, I often let him loose in the indoor arena while I was cleaning stalls.  That way, he could run if he felt like it, roll and look for hay scraps--which there were plenty of since the hay loft overlooked the arena.  He seemed very content in there.

Well, at this barn, we can't turn our horses loose in the indoor arena.  If you saw it, you would understand.  The arena is lovely, and they take such good care of it.  They are always raking the sand up from the edges, and it is watered at least once a day.  Though It has to be about 30 years old, you could never tell by looking at it.  It is immaculate.

We have great places to turn our horses out outside.  There is a large round pen, a paddock and a big pasture.  (The pasture is closed this time of year.) There is also a large riding arena that we can't turn out in.  It has all-weather footing.  So does the small track we can ride on.  We really like that there is always a place we can ride at this barn, and we never have to wait for people to take out their turned out horses--and they aren't pressuring us to shorten our rides so they can turn their horses out.

The first few times I turned Cole out, he was fine.  I thought we left his problem behind.  Then one day, he started up again.  He was going round and round the round pen--neighing.  Then he started to fret at the gate until I brought him in.  I was hoping this was an anomaly, but I got the same response the next time I tried it.

I had a problem.  

Ellen said I should try reviewing his tricks when he was in the round pen.  That way, I could keep his brain in a good place.  It was worth a try.

One day, after a fun trail ride, I unsaddled him and went into the round pen with him.  At first, I kept him on the lead rope so that he knew he was on the job.  I walked around the perimeter and asked him to lower his head by pointing to the ground.  He did, but normally when I ask him to do that, he starts to do his silly walk.  When he didn't, I knew he was a little uneasy.

We did some parking out, trotting in hand and silly walk upon request, and he seemed a little better.  I could tell he was thinking of rolling, so I let him loose.  There is nothing like a good roll.  He jumped up and did some running, but it was very reasonable running.  I asked for some trotting on command, and he would make it about half way around and burst into a run.  I didn't mind.  My goal wasn't perfection.  My goal was sanity. He only ran a short distance and then we would do some more tricks.

He stopped by Ellen who was standing outside the fence.  She asked him to park out and then she asked him to do silly walk, and he was happy to comply.  I did some more with him, and he was just loving it.

We got to work on a new trick we have been playing around with every now and then over the last few months.  He parks out, and I stand in front of him about 5 feet away.  I then walk backwards; stomping my feet--and he does silly walk towards me.  He was doing it great!  This is the first time I ever tried it at liberty and probably only the fifth lesson.

When I quit, he just stood by the gate; quietly.  There was not pawing or pacing.  My goal was achieved. 

I know that he isn't completely cured, but now we have something we can do to keep him relaxed.  When I taught Cole his tricks, (and I always say there isn't a trick I have taught him that I didn't come to regret at times,) I never thought there would be such practical applications.

And doing tricks at liberty is fun.  Since I no longer have to clean the stalls or do feeding 3 times a week, I have more time just to spend with Cole.  He is a wonderful horse; who can be just so much fun.  Now, I just need to find a few more tricks to teach him.  (Tricks that I will probably regret at times...)

No comments: