Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend Update

I had a 3-day weekend, which meant 3 days of trail riding! Friday was perfect, and we had a great time. Saturday and Sunday were drizzly and chilly. We still managed to trail ride, though. We just didn’t go that far.




Cole is doing well. His biggest accomplishment this weekend was crossing the river when it was a little higher and muddier than he was accustomed to. He hesitated, but I just kept my legs on him until he took a step.



Another thing we worked on was increasing speed on command. He was a little slower, so I decided it was time to ask for more speed at a trot. I simply squeezed my legs, and when he picked up the pace, I released and clicked. He understood right away, but I did it a lot to reinforce the command. I will continue to do it. I’m hoping that when he really understands, I can get him to canter from the trot on command. We haven’t worked on cantering on the lounge, so we don’t have any cue for it at all.



This evening, I will be riding him in the arena for the first time in more than 2 weeks. I don’t know what to expect. How well will he transfer what we have been working on to the arena? We shall see…

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

I'm glad he's doing so well! I think I'm going to work on teaching Chrome the voice commands when he's old enough to start longing (since I have tons and tons of time to kill until he's old enough to ride lol) so we can transfer it over into riding. I've always wanted to try that and have never had the opportunity to.

Actually I don't know if my allergies are getting better . . . used to it was just a lot of sneezing/itchy eyes/runny nose. Now it's excruciating sinus headaches . . . maybe I'll find something that helps. Someone suggested Zyrtec since the Claritan isn't helping anymore. Might give it a try.

I'm glad you're one of those positive thinkers hehe. If it's the last thing I do I will train myself into being a positive thinker. Negativity is just awful and I'm tired of being that kind of person. :) Wish me luck.

I'm glad you liked Secretariat. I really like underdog movies too, but I have every intention of loving this one too. :) I can't wait to see it!

Thanks for your comments!