Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bummed

My sister called me at work, today. Cruiser has hives that broke out, again. they are in the saddle area. She cleaned him up and put some Betadine on him. I am really sad about this. Not only because I was planning to ride him tonight, but because we took Thursday and Friday off for a 4-day weekend of riding. I may not be able to ride him at all. This has happened several times this summer, and I don’t know what is causing it. They have been all over his body, but the ones in the saddle area are to worst. If they don’t improve, I will start him on a course of steroids, again. They help a lot, but I don’t like to use them if I don’t have to.




Of course, I have Cole to ride, but that means we may have to do things a little different than we wanted to. I haven’t worked with Cole with trotting with other horses. That may be our project.



I may take Cole down trail, tonight. I have never ridden him out there in the evening, and if my boyfriend doesn’t show up, it will be the first time that I’m without either my sister on foot or another horse. We’ll see how that goes. I’ll have to do it, eventually—it may be tonight. I will lounge him a little first, but not too much because daylight is limited.



We’ll see how it goes…

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

That sucks. Have you changed his saddle blanket to see if he's allergic to something in it? Or washed it? Or changed what detergent you wash it in? Check his hay, buckets, stall, field, etc. for anything he could be allergic to? I know you've probably already checked all of this, but I'm hoping I might mention something you forgot or didn't think of yet. Also what kind of fly spray, shampoo, etc are you using? And are you feeding anything like a daily dewormer or maybe one of those feed through fly repellents? Maybe he could be allergic to something like that. Dunno. Just trying to think of anything that could be causing the hives since it's happened several times this summer. Then again it could just be the darn bugs. They are driving me crazy lol.

Also regarding you comment on my blog. I'm going to keep the girth that came with the saddle because he might grow into it but I also want a shorter one so that we can practice saddling now. I won't cinch it up for a while of course, but it's never too early for him to learn to wear one.

I'm going to have to check the stirrups for which one fits my foot and then I'll probably store the others or see if any of my friends need them. Two pairs are breakaway stirrups.

Cole does make you look a lot taller than 5'6". I'm 5'10" and used to ride a 14hh Appaloosa mare. I probably looked silly lol. You look good one Cole though, not too tall at all. :D