Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Suspensory Ligament Update

Suspensory Ligament Update


Cruiser is doing well. He has been sound at a walk, all along, and I haven’t trotted him. I can tell he is improving because there is less heat in his hoof. That is something I learned back in the bowed tendon days. When there is swelling in the leg, the hoof will feel warm. When it first happened, I was hoping the heat was a sign of a hoof abscess, but alas, it was leg swelling.


Well, on the warmer days, both front hooves are about the same. On the colder days, there isn’t as much difference, and on the last cold day, there wasn’t any difference.


We just do hand walking around the property. He tends to walk pretty fast on the cooler days, so I get a good workout. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I am starting to miss riding him. I certainly hope that he will recover from this injury. What bothers me the most is that it happened so easily. If I can start to ride him, you can be sure that I will go very carefully with him.



He has been gaining weight slowly but steadily, and looks so much better than he did in the winter when the cough was plaguing him. He still has a bit to go, and I am sure he will be at a good weight by the time he is ready to be ridden.


His mood is fantastic, and he acts just like a 2-year-old.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

Yay Cruiser!! I bet he will be just fine. He's a tough old boy. :D