Friday, February 5, 2010

Feeling Down about Mingo

I talked to the vet this morning about Mingo. She was glad he was doing well on the Prevacox, and she said we would keep him on it long term to make him comfortable and hopefully he is healing.

I told her I noticed one side of his sacroiliac was larger than the other and wondered if that could be the problem. She said it was possible since it appears that the problem is higher up. She was thinking it might even be a fracture. How any of this could of happened is beyond me. In a boarding stables like ours, he doesn’t get turned out unless I do it. The only thing I could think of is that he slipped somehow in his stall or got cast.

Well, I can give him a lot of time to heal. I just miss riding him. He is just so much fun in the winter out in the snow. Cruiser gets too hyper, and can be downright scary at times, but Mingo speeds up just right. We can trot and canter with abandon—knowing that he will still be careful. He really seems to enjoy it as much as me.

Right now, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to ride him. Sometimes I can accept it, but other times, like today, I find it unbearable. I certainly can’t afford another horse—which would be the one thing that would make this all easier. With a third horse, I would be so busy, I would be glad I didn’t have to ride Mingo!

Well at least, if he is suffering, you would hardly know. He really is comfortable on his new meds.

1 comment:

Achieve1dream said...

I'm sorry you're feeling down. At least you have clicker training as a way to spend time with him even though you can't ride him. Maybe this is just a reason to work with Cruiser or to attempt to build a comparable bond with him.

I know how you feel though without that familiar horse that you trust with your life and feel like you could do anything with. That's how I felt about my Appaloosa that I gave up two years ago. Be glad you do have another horse to ride at all. I've been completely horseless for two years and now that I have Chrome it will still be almost three years before I can ride him. Even when I start riding him it will take time before I'll be that comfortable with him.

Give Mingo a hug and try to look at the positives. :) Hugs!