Thursday, September 26, 2024

Trifecta's Third Trail Ride

Trifecta's Third Trail Ride

For our third ride, the river was a little high so I opted to stay on the hill.  My biggest problem has been leading a very excited horse down the hill, so Ellen suggested that I go back to my old system of leading a horse with a bridle with both hands.  Since I had been leading him with a halter bridle, I was just using a lead rope.

It was a wonderful idea. I spent months driving him, he really understands how reins work well.  Here is how I do it.  I put a rein in each hand and move my right hand under his head so it is on the opposite side of his body.  That way, I can steer him.  His worst behavior is trying to cut me off so he can get to the opposite side of the trail and try to grab a leaf off the tree.  I would respond by circling him around, and he never would get his leaf, but I would get exhausted and it took to long to get up and down the hill.

I started out with the lead rope so I had something to compare to--and then switched to leading with 2 hands.  I had an immediate improvement, and not only did he listen, but he calmed down, too.  The hardest part has always been the slope at the bottom of the hill which is particularly steep and goes around a corner.  By leading him down with 2 hands, I was able to guide him right around the corner without any trouble at all!  

At the bottom of the hill, he started walking faster because he wanted to cross the river.  When I got to the wide section, I once again lounged him at a walk in small circles until he calmed down.  I then led him for just a little while.  He did well, so I mounted.

Ellen still held on to the lead rope, and we walked back and forth at the bottom of the hill.  Only once did he try to go down to the river.  After he failed, he didn't try again.  I told Ellen to let the lead rope go when she felt it was safe.  I was ready, but I wanted her to be ready, too.  Before she was, she let the lead rope get longer and longer until I was completely guiding Trifecta and she was just an emergency break.  He did well with that, so she unhooked us.  He did great!

After about 15 minutes of riding, I decided it was time to go home.  This time, I was going to see what he did if I rode part of the way up the hill.

Back in Cole's early days, he was a disaster going up the hill on the way home.  For many months, I would have a perfect trail ride and everything would fall apart on the hill.  I ended up leading him most days for the longest time, and that wasn't easy, either.  (I led a lot with 2 hands.)  I wanted to train Trifecta the right way to avoid the problems I had with Cole.

Ellen put him on the lead rope.  My plan was to get up that steep slope--which he has been very bad with leading.  I told her we would have him walk a few steps, whoa, click and repeat.  It worked wonderfully.  I added a few steps each time.  I wanted calmness, a good stop and to chain walking quietly to the stop.  (Chaining is teaching a horse multiple behaviors for one click.)  Once we got on top of that little slope, I decided to ride him about a third of the way up the hill.  We continued with our plan, but the distances got longer and longer.  I was so happy it went so well.  I got off, and led him the rest of the way.  It was a great ride.

I have realized that I can work on a lot of my training on the hill and not necessarily cross the river.  It is much easier for Ellen, and I will be able to keep our lessons shorter.  Plus, come winter when we may not be able to cross the river, he will be a champion on the hill--unlike Cole that first year...


No comments: