Friday, September 20, 2024

Trifecta's First Trail Ride

Trifecta's First Trail Ride

I have been riding Trifecta for about a month, and he has been doing really well.  I decided it was time to try him on the trail.  I picked a hot day with a low river when Ellen didn't have to go to work after the ride.  The last thing I wanted was to feel rushed.

Ellen was very nervous and balked when I said I might cross the river.  I wasn't nervous at all.  I knew I would only do what felt safe.  

I lounged him a little bit to test out his mood, and he was very calm.  I unsnapped the lounge line and attached the lead rope.  Ellen said she would carry the reins.  She took the reins and pretended to run off with them so I wouldn't be able to ride.  That gave me a good laugh, but I think she was serious.  I also think she wanted to have the reins so I wouldn't do anything stupid.

As soon as I stepped out onto the driveway, Trifecta transformed into a very hyper, energetic horse.  He had a little outburst before we even got to the street.  He hadn't been out on the trail for possibly several months since I was concentrating on getting him ready to ride and then our early riding training sessions--and he loves the trail!

He tried to trot ahead of me several times while I was leading him on the street.  My visions of riding him across the river started to dim...Once we started walking on the trail down the hill that leads to the river, he was basically dragging me.  My visions of riding him at all on the trail started to dim, too.

I kept asking him to stop and walk quietly, but at first he wasn't having it.  After many requests, he finally got it, and I was able to click him for good behavior.  After that, he was more sensible and I was able to click him more and more--and so he got better and better.  That all changed when we got to the bottom of the hill.  He became hyper, again.

The trail at the bottom of the hill is straight, flat and about a few hundred feet.  About two thirds of the way, there is the exit ramp for the river.  Tri loves going to the river, and he was in a big hurry to get there.  When I led him past it, he started to act up in protest.  That is when I realized my best path would be "demoralization."  That meant I would lead him back and forth on the trail until he settled down.

That wasn't easy.  He kept trying to go down the river bank.  He also reverted to his old, nippy self--grabbing the lead rope or even my arm a few times.  How long we went back and forth before I got my great revelation; I really don't know.  I do know I was getting pretty tired when I realized I could take the extra wide area of the trail and have him lounge around me.  As he walked circles and I rested, he suddenly settled down.  After that, I was able to walk to the end of the trail, turn around, go back to the wide area, lounge him at a walk for a bit and repeat.  He kept getting better and better.  I was starting to think I could do a short ride.

All this time,  Ellen was sitting on the mounting block.  She got up for some reason, and Trifecta did a curious thing.  He walked over to the mounting block--a mounting block I never used with him before--and just stood there.  I tried to lead him away, and he didn't budge.  Ellen and I both took that as a sign.  It was time to mount.  I positioned him by the mounting block, Ellen gave me my snap-on reins, and I mounted right up.

Instantly, Trifecta calmed right down.  It was the most amazing thing.  Ellen kept the lead rope attached to his halter/bridle, but it wasn't necessary.  We just walked back and forth and back and forth on the trail at the bottom of the hill.  We did click for good behavior--and we got a lot of it.  As a final reward, I asked him to walk down to the river where I dismounted, let him have a sip of water and he grabbed a fallen leaf.  All was good.  We had our first trail ride.

I led him back home, and he walked fast, but not as fast as he did on the way down the hill.  I think he was tired.  I know I sure was--I had to keep stopping on my way up the hill.  He didn't seem to mind taking little breaks.  Once we got home, I unsaddled him and let him eat his afternoon hay.  It was a very successful day.

No comments: