Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bread in the crockpot

This is a really neat recipe and as easy as it is delicious.

I have learned to line the crockpot with greased wax paper to keep it from sticking.

I use whole wheat flour because I love the taste, and it is so much better for you.

If you overcook it, it will get dry.  I think it depends on how hot your crockpot cooks.  Mine does well with 2 and a half hours.

INGREDIENTS:


1 envelope (.25 ounce) of active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour

DIRECTIONS:

In a bowl combine yeast, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water. Allow yeast to foam, about 5 minutes.

Add egg, oil, lukewarm water, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 cups of flour. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes on low.

With a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour.

Place dough in greased 4-5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours. Remove stoneware from cooker and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

4 comments:

Story said...

I've been looking for a recipe like this (either crockpot or dutch oven bread). This looks like a great project for this evening!

Judi said...

Great minds travel parallel paths, evidently. Did you try it? How did it come out?

Story said...

Judi, I can't believe how that turned out! I normally make bread the old fashioned elbow grease way with lots of kneading and rising. This was so easy, it was silly! The texture was perfect and Husband says he's making sandwiches with it for his lunch tomorrow. Great recipe, thank you!

BTW, I let mine go 2 1/2 hours, too but it probably could have come out sooner (I think my crockpot runs a bit hot).

Judi said...

I am so glad you liked the bread. Yes, it is ridiculously easy--compared to the traditional way.

Actually, I thought of gettinga bread making machine, but when I saw how much they cost, I couldn't bring myself to do it. This works perfect for me.