Thursday, April 13, 2023

The Best 15 Seconds of the Whole Ride

The Best 15 Seconds of the Whole Ride

Many times for many years, Ellen and I will be coming back from a ride, and when we get to the river that we cross to go home, we decide to pass it up and go for a little while longer.  We will just trot out to the street.  It isn't a long distance at all, but it makes the ride a little longer.

Cole started to really get into it.  I think it is because when we get to the street, we just turn around and go back home.  I know Cruiser liked to do it, too.  I can tell because of their enthusiastic trot.

Over the years, Cole's trot has become more and more enthusiastic.  It didn't take Dante long to catch on to the excitement.  Cole usually is in the lead, and he will typically trot faster than he does on the whole ride.  Dante decided that that was a tremendous idea.  Though he can't match Cole's trotting speed, he does his best.  Many times, Ellen lets him canter.

There are times that I can't hold Cole--he just goes.  There have been leaps and squeals from Dante.  None of this puts us off, because we know they will always stop at the end--they just want to get there very fast.  We just sit back and enjoy it.

The more we do it, the more hyper they get about it.  I just love riding a fast, extended trot.  When they go this fast, I don't think it takes us much more than 15 seconds to get to the end, but they are the best 15 seconds of the whole ride.

For some reason, Kevin never wanted to join us.  We did it a lot last year, and if he was with us, he would just cross the river and go home.  Poor Starry was missing all the fun.

A couple weeks ago, I was riding with just Kevin.  He surprised me when he said he wanted to trot past home.  I guess it was just such a nice evening for riding that he didn't want to go home.  I told him I would take the lead, and Cole would probably go very fast.  Kevin loves going fast, so that is not a problem.  I just wanted him to be ready for it.

Cole took off, and we were at the end already turned around when Starry came around the bend--and Kevin was smiling.  Somebody really had a lot of fun.

The next time I rode with Kevin, he suggested that we do it again.  Now, he knows our secret. Sometimes, it really is the best 15 seconds of the whole ride.


No comments: