Tuesday, November 15, 2022

My Next Big Goal

 My Next Big Goal

As I have been recovering from wrist surgery, I keep setting little goals.  In the very beginning, the simplest things were very difficult such as, turning a faucet, cleaning Thunder's litter box, opening up a can and I can't tell you how hard it was to change clothes.

As time went on, I graduated to carrying a plate, preparing vegetables, bridling Cole and cleaning his hooves.

I have finally reached the point where all the day-to-day things I do are easy.  I have to keep reminding myself how far I have come when I get disappointed that I am still trying to meet certain measurements when I visit the physical therapist.  As my range of motion improves, I realize my grip still has a way to go.

I only have one big goal left, and right now I can't work on it.  It is mounting Cole from the ground.  I am currently using a mounting block.  I have a 10 pound limit on my wrist, and my hop isn't good enough to propel myself up without a little help from my hand on Cole's withers.

Why is it so important to me?  Because I am the only one in our group who can still do it. Whenever any of us drops something, I hop off and get it for them.  That includes me.  Also, if Ellen needs to dismount to lead Dante across the ford--or any reason at all, I dismount and hold her stirrup so she doesn't have to look for a log to help her back up.  With colder weather approaching, I can't just hop off and lead a while to get warm, either.

I love being able to mount from the ground!

Once I get approval to start mounting from the ground, I will be working really hard on it.  My arm isn't as strong as it was, and I'm not even sure if I have a strong enough grip with my hand.  That is why I have been working so hard to improve my grip.  

In the beginning, I plan to have Ellen hold the stirrup for me.  It really helps if you aren't worried about the saddle slipping if things go awry.  Also, I will probably start from the bottom step of the mounting block to help me out.

Ellen wants me to be able to mount from the ground, too.  She tells me she lives in fear of dropping things when we are out on the trail!



No comments: