Tuesday, January 15, 2019

No Trail Riding

The ground is frozen, the river is freezing and I have been riding in the arena for almost a week. 

I could have gotten a little time outside on the driveway, but the farrier trimmed Cole's feet a little short, and they are tender.  I rode him too much on the trail the last 8 weeks.  Since he doesn't wear his feet evenly, one side gets too low--and the farrier has to lower the other side just as much to balance them.  Shoes would have been useful this time around--but who would have thought I would have gotten so much trail riding?  I was worried this would happen, but I didn't want to lose those nice rides.  Anyway, he is fine in the soft sand.

I have been getting bad ideas in my head.  The urge to buy a second horse keeps crossing my mind--and it is just a dumb idea, right now.  Cole is young enough that I don't need a second horse--and it is just too expensive if I don't really need one.  Besides, with Ranger, there is plenty to do most of the time.  So, Ellen has been encouraging me to ride Dante in the arena.  Since I feel like I'm not getting enough riding, Dante is helping.

He has been doing better and better with each ride.  I like riding him in the arena better than Cole in a lot of ways.  He is just so smooth!!!  With Cole, I can be dripping with sweat--even on a cold day.  Dante moves just fast and easy enough for me to stay warm.  He doesn't know as much as Cole does--and isn't as near as creative with tricks and evasions.  He is just a good horse with smooth gaits.

According to the long-term weather forecast, I will be primarily riding in the arena for a while.  In a few more days, I will be able to ride Cole outside, but it is supposed to just get colder.  But that is January up north.  Time goes fast, and it will soon be spring...

No comments: