Friday, August 3, 2018

Where Have all the Deerflies Gone?

Where Have all the Deerflies Gone?

First off, I am not complaining--I am just wondering.  We are all wondering.

Usually around the beginning of July, the deerflies explode on population and oh, do they torment us.  It lasts until the middle of August, and then they start to fade away.

Bug spray is no help with them.  The only thing we found that helps is it the crocheted hats that cover their ears and the top of their heads.  The deerflies aim high. Most of them land on the bonnet and can’t bite through it. Before they land, they swarm.  The only thing to do is to trot as much as we can. They make a good ride--not so good.

Sometimes, they will land on out horse’s neck.  We must be vigilant so we can swat them off. Starry will actually stop and bend his head towards Kevin, so Kevin can help him.  

This year, we started getting a few of them in May because it was so hot.  We fiured it would be a bad year. Oddly, we haven’t gotten more than a couple on each ride.

There are deerflies other places--just not where we ride.  It made out July rides so much better! We used our bonnets just once--and realized it was a waste of time.  We still have mosquitoes, but they aren’t as bad this time of year as they are in the late spring.

I hope they don’t come back next year!

1 comment:

KT said...

One thing I do here for the deerflies. I get a rectangular scrap of fabric and hand sew one of the long edges to the back of the bonnet. So it drapes down each side of the neck, and extends about 5 or 6 inches down the neck. That's the spot where deerflies attack and the bonnet doesn't reach. So I have one "good" bonnet that's just for looks, and my "regular" bonnet that I've sewn the patch on that I use almost all the time